ScienceSpark REVISED ! is an Encyclopædia Britannica series of eight Science textbooks for Classes 1 to 8. Conforming to the vision of the National Curriculum Framework, 2005 and designed according to the new NCERT Upper Primary Syllabus, 2005, ScienceSpark presents a live and growing body of knowledge rather than an overload of information.
The series aims to develop in learners the scientific skills of observation, collection of data, investigation, and drawing inferences. It seeks to sensitize learners to the need of a healthy ecological balance and conservation.
The salient features of the series are:
- Let’s experiment/ Activity: learning by doing to develop observation, data collection, inferential skills
- Let’s talk: assimilation of data through group discussions and debate
- Project: development of investigative and data interpretation skills
- Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS): challenging opportunities given to develop analytical skills
- Infobit: Interesting facts that add more information to each topic
- Go green: Ecological awareness through ecofacts
- Check out: Web links to encourage further research
- Word power: Word bank of scientific terms
- Glossary: Running along the content with meanings of difficult words
- Test papers: Sample tests for two terms
- CD-ROM: Accompanying each book, the CD supplements book content through visuals, experiments, animations, interactive exercises, and additional information
- Teacher’s Book: Teacher tool with each book, containing lesson plans, assessment aids, and additional assignments
- Books 1, 2 & 3 are in the workbook format
- Specific icons alongside exercises and assignments indicate skills for evaluation through continuous and comprehensive evaluation (CCE).
ScienceSpark has been designed to ignite young minds so as to develop in learners scientific attitudes and skills, with a propensity to naturally apply them to all aspects of life always.